Image result for wine snob cartoon

Snobs and Bores.
Snob
noun
a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people.

Bore
noun
one that causes weariness and restlessness through lack of interest one that causes boredom: such as
a dull or tiresome person

There’s nothing worse than a wine snob unless, it’s a wine bore. The difficulty is, I think I may be one of them. I’m generally pretty happy with a glass of anything made from fermented grapes. It could be a nice cold  Wolf Blass Chardonnay costing six quid in Tescos  or a poncey Bordeaux Chateau that’s been lovingly stored for a decade just waiting for the perfect moment to be poured. The only thing that matters is that it’s a good drink. My problem ( lies on couch and stares at the ink blot on the wall) is that having spent a quarter of a century buying, selling and making the stuff, I have retained an abnormally large amount of information about booze with the emphasis on abnormal!  So, here’s some advice. If you see me and ask a question about wine, I may get carried away and in the style of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted, I may go on. And on. And on and on….to the extent that, it might be boring. I do try not to but  sometimes, I just can’t help myself. Here’s a tip,  if you want me to stop my blathering just say the words Black Tower. The first wine I ever tried that I really liked. It was Christmas. I was twelve. It came in a black knobbly flask. Enough said.
Related imageOne thing that I am not is a wine snob. My taste is no more refined than anybody else’s and certainly not superior. Having been trained to constantly judge wine quality, when I first taste something I do tend to analyse it which is an particularly annoying habit. The good news is that by the second glass , the world will once more be my lobster.
This month’s tip. The new Lidl Wine Tour should now be in the stores.  At the time of writing it isn’t on shelf and so I haven’ tasted any of the wines yet . It is based around France and it’s always worth a browse. For example there’s Moulin a Vent for £7.99, some nice Southern French Reds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born to be Wild.

Making Real Cider

Why the price of wine will go up and up.